Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Black Tie and mylar flake accent

Hi fellow lacquer lovers!

I blinked and a whole week was gone! Well, not quite that easily. The first part of the week was hellish and might explain why I've been gone for so long. I lost my ability to sleep! I've been finding it more and more difficult to stay in any horizontal position for a good length of time. I was getting bad rib cage and back pain that was waking me up and needless to say, I started feeling more and more like a zombie with each day. I finally got fed up a couple of days ago and took myself off to the guest bedroom with all the pillows I could get except for one for my husband. I made a pillow fort in the guest bed and pretty much sleep partially sitting up. I feel normal again! I know what all the mothers out there are saying right now. No sleep? Get used to it. I'm just praying it's never that bad all the time.

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent


I'm really excited to show you my manicure for this post. This was a very unassuming bottle of Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Black Tie that I picked up from a clearance bin because, honestly, I think it just got caught up with a few other bottles in the heat of the moment. I didn't think much of it in the bottle. I had an idea for a mani that I wanted to use a near black color for and I picked this up to try. Once I actually put it on though, whoa! Duochrome goodness! It's not a super obvious duochrome but enough that non polish lovers noticed the fact that there were multiple colors present.

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent

The first picture was in my light box at night. Duochrome is not too obvious. All the pictures after that are taken outside in varying depths of sunlight. This one above was taken in the shade.

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent

A little more sunlight....

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent

A lot of sunlight!!! Look at all the shimmer....

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent

A distance picture. The accent nail was done by painting a couple of coats of black. Then when the last coat was still wet, I took pieces of mylar flakes from a dollar store nail art package and individually layed them down near each other. I did struggle with this part a bit because the pieces were a little too stiff and kept sticking up all over the place. These pictures show this mani with about three coats of topcoat. It was still slightly uneven. I'm glad I did just an accent nail because the removal was a bit of a pain too. I would do it again, though. I loved the result!

The package of mylar flakes I used. I actually only used the one on the top left. It was still iridescent enough to show all those different colors over black.

NailaDay: Sally Hansen Black Tie with mylar flakes accent

My husband loved this one. It got a 10/10!! What do you guys think? Love it? Would the flakies drive you nuts?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Delphi, thank you so much for the sweet comment! I hadn't thought about dunking it in water but it feels like it's made of plastic. I'm not sure dunking it would really help. What I decided for next time is that I should make sure I'm careful to pick up pieces that are not as stiff or awkwardly bent. I wasn't paying much attention to the pieces this time. I'm glad you like it! If you do try it, I'd love to see it! If you have any sort of a nail account (IG, blog, tumblr) let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked with Mylar before and what I have noticed is that they are not solvent-resistant, meaning that when I had put some in a bottle of top coat after a while they had softened up and had become pliable and limp. However, I wouldn't leave them in there too long as, again, they are not solvent-resistant, which also means that the color will bleed off. Not the holographic properties so much, but I did notice my bottle of top coat had turned a color. It won't strip the flakes completely, but you will notice a slight dulling of color if left for more than a several hours to a day. I hope this helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think! I love, love reading comments so don't be shy! Leave comments, questions, suggestions and I will reply as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...